NCoS boss orders probe into Imo jailbreak

The Acting Controller-General, Nigeria Correctional Service, Mr John Mrabure, has ordered investigation into the incident that occurred at the Owerri Custodial Centre in the early hours of Monday, April 5, 2021.

NEWSCASTARS.COM gathered that the Service Public Relations Officer, Mr Francis Enobore, said this in a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria early Tuesday in Abuja.

Mrabure said that the assignment, which would be carried out in collaboration with other security organisations has commenced with a Search and Recover Operations to recapture the fleeing inmates.

The Owerri Custodial Centre in Imo had been attacked by unknown gunmen who forcefully released a total of 1,844 inmates in custody.

He, however, assured the people that the security of custodial centres across the country remained sacrosanct.

“As at the last count, six inmates have so far voluntarily returned to the facility while 35 inmates refused to escape from custody during the attack, ” he said.

 

Leave a Reply