IPOB/ESN leader killed by police during raid in Imo state

Some Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and Eastern Security Network (ESN) members were killed in a clash with the police during a raid on their camp located at Akata in Oru East Local Government Area of Imo State on Friday, August 27.

Imo State Commissioner of Police, Rabiu Hussaini, said that credible information by the Imo Command’s intelligence unit revealed that a group suspected to be IPOB/ESN members were seen mobilising to attack police formations and government installations from their camp located at Akata in Oru East LGA of Imo State and he immediately dispatched the command’s Special Forces and tactical teams led by the officer-in-charge of Operation Restore Peace, ACP Evans Shem, to dislodge the group as a proactive measure to nip their planned attack on the bud.

The Police spokesman CSP Michael Abattam, in a statement, said on approaching the camp, the police teams were attacked by the secessionist group leading to battle and the head of the IPOB/ESN group and others were neutralised.

He said items recovered include three Improvised Explosives Devices (I.E.D), two Pump Action Guns, nine Cartridges, One Locally Made Pistol and One Toyota Highlander SUV vehicle with registration number IMO DFB 535 LC.

Abattam said, on their way back unknown to police teams, the bandits reinforced and regrouped, using palm tree logs to block the entire exit paths in the bush.

The police spokesman added: “It was at the fourth blockade that the police teams came under heavy attack while removing the fourth palm tree log used in blocking the exit path.

“The bandits threw petrol bombs and Improvised Explosives Devices (I.E.Ds) at the police vehicles.”

He said that the police teams successfully dislodged the suspected IPOB/ESN group. Several of them were neutralised and others fled into the bush with bullets injuries.

He said: “Unfortunately, one of the police Hilux vehicle was burnt due to the petrol bombs thrown on it.”

Abattam disclosed that three police officers sustained bullet injuries and were rushed to the hospital while one of them died on the way.

The two other officers, according to him, were in stable condition undergoing treatment in a government hospital.\


Leave a Reply