Driver shot dead in Lagos

Lagos State Police Command are in search of the fleeing gunmen, who allegedly shot a driver, identified simply as Sunday, to death in the Lawanson area of the state.

The 45-year-old, who had closed for the day, parked his vehicle around Lawanson bus stop and was on his way to buy something when the gunmen suddenly appeared on a motorcycle and shot him in the chest, he fell and died on the spot as his corpse was said to have been left in a pool of his own blood on Aborisade Street, Lawanson.

Other yet-to-be-identified persons were said to have also sustained bullet injuries during the attack.

NEWSCASTARS.COM learnt that the General Secretary, National Union of Road Transport Workers, Lawanson branch, Tony Boroh, said Sunday was on his way to buy water to drink when the gunmen shot him dead, adding that the case was reported at the Lawanson Division of the command.

Boroh said, “From what I gathered from people around the scene of the attack, the incident happened around midnight and when I was informed, I went there in the morning and saw his corpse on the road. But because we couldn’t leave his corpse there, I ran down to the Itire Police Station to make a report and policemen came to carry the corpse away.

“What people told us was that some guys, who were dressed in black, came to the area and suddenly started shooting; till now, we have not heard anything from anybody. No family member has come to claim Sunday’s corpse and that was why we handed the case over to the government. The victim used to be an NURTW member and was one of our drivers, but he was no longer with us before the incident.

“Eyewitness told us that he was eating and went to buy sachet water when the incident happened. They even showed me the food he was eating inside a bus; he left the food inside the bus to buy sachet water at a mallam’s shop when he was attacked on Aborisade Street, Lawanson bus stop. But I didn’t see any sachet water around his corpse.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, said two yet-to-be-identified suspects were responsible for Sunday’s death, adding that a manhunt had been launched for their arrest.

Adejobi stated, “On March 17, 2021, around 8.35am, one Tony Boroh, the Secretary General, NURTW, Lawanson branch, came to the station and reported that he was called on the phone that one of their former members named Sunday, aka Oju Olongbo, 45, was shot dead at the Lawanson bus stop in the early hours of the same day and his corpse was lying by the roadside.


“He said he rushed to the scene and met the dead body of Sunday and that no one could identify the two men on a motorcycle, who fired randomly and killed Sunday, while some other persons were reportedly injured. Policemen, who were mobilised to the scene of the incident, also met the body lying motionless on the ground with a gunshot injury in his chest.

“The body was taken to the Mainland General Hospital, Yaba, Lagos, where he was pronounced dead on arrival by a medical doctor. The corpse was deposited in the hospital’s mortuary for autopsy; meanwhile, a manhunt has been launched for the suspects.”



Leave a Reply