Buhari govt failed to use opportunities presented by EndSARS protest – Segun Showunmi

The Spokesman of Atiku Abubakar 2019 Presidential Campaign, Segun Showunmi says the President Muhammadu Buhari’s government did not use the opportunities presented by last year’s EndSARS protest to reset the country.

In a statement he made available to journalists on Thursday, the political activist said: “In all, we must never forget what happened and what could have gone wrong and what lessons we need to learn from a near meltdown, the type of which some other locations would have had gory tales of woes and scars to show for it. In all, as we say here, we thank God.

“We, however, have to tell ourselves the damn truth. We seem not to have moved quickly with the opportunity that the youth agitation presented. When the youth of a nation pick up the courage to organise themselves in such a protest of that magnitude, leaders must answer transparently and deliberately the questions that their protests throw up.

“We are duty-bound to understand that failing to do what we need to do, we will pay very dearly given the youth bulge and the unemployment issues of our country

“As for the civil societies and the professional protesters, it’s time to review and rewrite the playbook, for we must move to a level of decent descent; otherwise, we will destroy all things that we have observed from areas where an unmanaged meltdown in the name of protest had destroyed things that will take a lifetime to build.

 

“Indeed a great revolution must and is a combination of micro evolutions. Baby steps in the right direction will give us much more than great giant leaps into chaos. May the memories and lessons of the EndSARS protests inspire us to Reset Nigeria.”

Leave a Reply